What is Chwee Kway (rice flour mix with water) topped with fried chai poh (preserved radish) and Chilli Sauce.
This is a healthy breakfast seen regularly in Singapore hawkers and most of the stall will close by noon.
Chwee kway is made from rice flour mixed together with water, pour into a mould steamed to cook. basically had no taste to it.
So come in the fried chai poh (preserved radish) every stall got their own recipe for cooking the chai poh
Basically, they fried the chai poh with garlic add in some sugar, but it Savoury in taste
Topped with chai poh and the chilli and it will spice up your day with this delight breakfast dish.
Click page 2 for Chwee Kway recipe
Chwee Kway Recipe
Ingredients for the Chwee kway
|Rice flour||550 Gm|
|Wheat Flour||45 Gm|
|Corn Flour||45 Gm|
|Cooking oil||4 Teaspoon|
|Salt Fine||2 Teaspoon|
|Boiling water||1.6 Lt|
- In a whisking bowl mix in rice flour, corn flour, wheat flour, salt and water mix well and whisk until smooth.
- Pour boiling hot water into flour mixture gradually, stirring continuously.
- Add 2 tsp of cooking oil into the batter and mix well.
- Prepare 40, 6 x 3 cm round mould, brush a little oil onto the mould.
- Pour batter into the mould fill about 3/4 full.
- Steam for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Remove moulds from the steamer to cool for 15 – 20 minutes before unmoulding.
Ingredients for the Chai Poh
|Chai-Poh (Preserved Radish)||600 Gm|
|Garlic peeled and chopped||45 Gm|
|shallot peeled and chopped||45 Gm|
|Dried Shrimp, soaked and chopped||45 Gm|
|Cooking oil||1 Cup|
|Light Soya sauce||1 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Dark Soya sauce||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Salt Fine||1 Teaspoon|
|White Pepper powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
- Chop radish into smaller pieces.
- Rinse radish under running tap water briefly. Use your hand to squeeze out the excess water from the radish.
- Heat up a pan add in cooking oil once it shimmers add in chopped dried shrimp fry for about a minute, adds in chopped garlic and shallots, fry until fragrant.
- Add in preserved radish and mix until all oil is absorbed. Cook over low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in seasoning to taste.
- Spoon onto the Chwee kway server with sambal chilli.