Red Braised pork (Hong Shao Rou) may be one of the most common of all Chinese dishes, but it is also one of the most glorious, a slow stew of belly pork.
It braised with seasonings that may include sugar, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine and spices. Every region seems to have its own version.is sufficiently tender and the fat melts in your mouth, the taste
Is sufficiently tender and the fat melts in your mouth, the taste is rich, sticky, savoury- sweet and very delicious!
You can easily find this Dish in any of the Chinese restaurants.
Local Chinese family like to cook at home as their common dish.
Click page 2 for Recipe
Red Braised Pork Recipe
|Pork Belly not too fat||1 Kg|
|Garlic Peeled whole crush lightly||6 nos|
|Ginger peeled crush lightly||40 Gm|
|Shaoxing wine||150 Ml|
|Cooking Oil||150 Ml|
|spring onion, white part only||3 stalk|
|Chilli Pibi||20 Gm|
|star anise||1 Pcs|
|cinnamon stick||1 Pcs|
|chicken stock||400 ML|
|Rock Sugar||30 Gm|
|Rice Cooking Wine||150 Ml|
|dark soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Salt Fine||1 Teaspoon|
- Wash and cut the pork belly into 3/4-1 inch (2-3cm) chunks.
- Blanch the pork belly in boiling water for a few minutes to remove the impurities, then drain well.
- In a wok or large pan, heat up the oil over a medium heat, once it shimmer adds in garlic, ginger and spring onion stir-fry until you can smell their aromas.
- Add the pork belly and sugar stir-fries them together until the meat is nicely caramelised. The heat should not be too high or the sugar will burn.
- When the meat is sufficiently caramelised Splash in the Shaoxing wine and rice cooking wine. reduce for few minute.
- Add the stock, spices, soy sauce, Chilli Pibi and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over a low flame for at least 1 1/2 hours, preferably two hours.
- Keep an eye on the pot to make sure it does burn add a little more stock if necessary.
- Until the liquid reduces to a black, sticky sauce with the consistency of honey.
- Garnish with spring onion greens before serving.