Prawn Mee Soup has always been one of my favourite hawker foods.
This soup base is cook with prawn shelf, pork rib and other ingredients for few hours to get the freshest and the sweetest.
As usual Local like soupy and spicy food and it come with soup or dry with spicy and non-spicy.
And is topped with ingredients like Prawn, sliced pork, fish cake, kang kong, main is yellow noodles.
For a prawn mee to impress, it needs a good broth, perfectly cooked noodles and, of course, fresh prawns.
First, fry the prawn shells in hot oil before simmering it with pork ribs for more than 8 hours. Frying the prawn heads help to extract the juices, resulting in a dark broth with an orange hue. Each sip is rich and addictive.
Click page 2 for Prawn mee soup recipe
Ingredients for the prawn mee stock
|pork ribs||500 Gm|
|Pork Big Bone ( break into two)||1 Nos|
|large prawns (peel and shells set aside)||1 Kg|
|Cooking Oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Star anise||2 Nos|
|Garlic peeled and chopped||50 Gm|
|Ikan Bilis||100 Gm|
|brown sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|white peppercorns||2 Tablespoon|
|Rock sugar||40 Gm|
|White pepper powder||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Dark soya sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Salt Fine||1 Tablespoon|
- wash and peel the prawn, keep the prawn head and shelf aside.
- Scald the pork big bone and pork rib for about 2 minutes. set aside.
- In a big pot add cooking oil, once it shimmers add in chopped garlic and stir-fried until fragrant, add prawn head and shells and stir fry till they turn red.
- Add in star anise, cloves, Ikan Bilis, and brown sugar, mix evenly.
- Then add in water, blanched pork ribs, pork big bone, white peppercorns, rock sugar, white pepper powder, and dark soya sauce
- Bring to boil, lower the heat and simmer for at least 2 hours
- Remove and drain stock, pick out the pork ribs and set aside
- Cool down the pork rib and cut into smaller pieces.
- Return the stock to a pot bring to boil adjust seasoning to taste.
- Skim the top layer of stock.
- Blanch the prawn in the stock for 2-3 minutes. and set aside.
Ingredients for the prawn mee and topping
|Yellow noodle||600 Gm|
|Bean sprouts||200 Gm|
|Fried shallots||50 Gm|
|Chilli powder for garnish||2Tablespoon|
|Kang kong||300 Gm|
|Fish cake thin slice||1 Pcs|
- In a pot bring water to boil, blanch yellow noodles with bean sprouts, fish cake and Kang kong.
- Place in a bowl add in the pork rib and prawn, fill the bowl with hot prawn stock.
- Garnish, with a sprinkle of chilli powder and fried shallots.