Must try Flavour Singapore Local Food Chilli Crab. As known local like spicy food, especially seafood with chilli.
We are using Sri Lankan Crab or Mud Crab it is meaty and sweet and you can choose male or female Crab for male crab is more meaty and female crab is the for the crab roe.
All restaurants and hawkers stall got their own recipe for it.
And you will go back for more, dipping Deep Fried steamed buns, called mantou,
To soak up the sauce – a delightful blend of tomatoes and chilli paste, thickened with ribbons of beaten eggs.
And the sauce is sweet yet savoury, slightly spicy.
Chilli crab is among Singapore’s greatest culinary inventions, the king of all crab dishes. It is easily available in most seafood restaurants, which typically serve it with mud crabs that have deliciously sweet and juicy flesh.
Click page 2 for Chilli Crab recipe
Chilli Crab Recipe
Ingredients for the Chilli Crab Paste (Rempan)
|Garlic Peeled||30 Gm|
|Shallot Peeled||40 Gm|
|Ginger peeled||30 Gm|
|Galangal Peeled||40 Gm|
|Cooking Oil||150 Ml|
|Candle Nut||10 pieces|
|Chilli Pibi||30 Gm|
|belacan (shrimp paste)||20Gm|
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth with 150 ml of cooking oil. Set aside.
Ingredients for the Chilli Crab
|Mud Crab||3 Nos about 1.4 kg|
|Cooking Oil||200 Ml|
|Brown Sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Tomato passata||1.5 Cup|
|Chicken stock||2 Cup|
|salt Fine||1 Teaspoon|
|Fresh Egg lightly beaten||1 Nos|
|Chilli Powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Coriander Leave||2 Stalk|
|Corn Flour||1.5 Tablespoon|
- Wash and clean the mud crab. Pull the top shell (carapace) away from the body and discard the gills but reserve any of the yellowish tomalley from the head and the top shell.
- Twist off the claws, then using a Chopper knife, divide the body into four pieces.
- In a wok add 150ml of cooking oil, once it shimmer adds in crab except for the top shell, stir-fry for a minute.
- Cover with a lid let it shimmers for a minute, remove from the wok. set aside.
- Use the same wok add in 50ml of cooking oil, once it shimmer adds in the Rempan (paste), fry until fragrant and the oil separates from the solids.
- Add the tomato passata, chicken stock, salt and brown sugar. stir- fry to boil. add the fried crab including the top shell.
- Toss to coat. Cover and simmer for about 4 minutes, add chilli powder.
- Stirring continuously, slowly drizzle the cornflour mixture into the wok, followed by the beaten egg.
- Remove from the wok and place onto a plate. server with deep fried steamed bun
- Garnish with coriander leave.